new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,770
Re: new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

bigfatron wrote:

joger wrote:

quatpat wrote:

. . . Again, the Canon costs about three times more.

true - but you get it (almost) back after using it

What would you prefer - parking money in an investment or renting something?

just a few thoughts from m side - out of the box thinking

You'd lose more in absolute terms for future resale on the Canon than you would on the Sigma, plus you'd have to find 3 times as much to buy it in the first place. Its an utterly stupid argument and would need for the Sigma to lose probably 70% or more of its value for it to be remotely valid. Canon glass (especially the good L series stuff) does typically have a lower percentage depreciation than third party makers but not to the extent you're suggesting.

I've sold my Nikon lenses four years ago with no loss over up to 12+ years - I even sold some lenses for a higher price then I've pays and this is the quote from TDP

There is no arguing that the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens carries a very high price tag, but as I've reported before, my experience with Canon Super Telephoto Lens ownership has been a positive one financially. Quality Canon lenses taken care of retain their value very well. You can usually get most of your money back at resale - or even make a profit as new lens prices increase. This makes overall cost of ownership very low.

My big white Canon lenses have actually proven to be a better investment than my 401k fund in the last few years. I sold my being-replaced Canon Super Telephoto Lenses prior to the new ones becoming available to be able to fund the new lenses. Even selling my four mint, used lenses at very-good-for-the-buyer prices, I still made a significant amount of profit (4 figures) after getting years of use from them.

I of course cannot predict the future, but history is often a good indicator of it. What I can tell you that I'm having much more fun with my Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens than with my 401k investments. And the images I've captured are priceless to me.

If the price makes the Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L IS II USM Lens unobtainable for you, consider renting one for your special events. If you are not shooting professionally, consider getting other parents to share in the rental expense in exchange for photos of their kids.

read here

It's also about minimizing the risk to loose money - for Nikon I have my own experiences and obviously for Canon it is quite similar.

Nobody can predict the future but a look in my own past helps a bit - the only lenses where I lost money in the past 20+ years were Tamron / Tokina and Sigma lenses - I am open to buy new ones but not for 3 k EUR/USD - that risk would be too high for me - honestly - the recent introduction of the 120-300 Sport series is just another hint that companies like Sigma / Tamron and Tokina are not on the same conservative level - that's all - I hardly see any PROs at sports events with such lenses - you see many white and yellow labeled lenses but seldom other lenses - even though the price difference is steep

just a few thoughts and surely my own story - just like to discuss here - no offense!!

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow