Nikon 24-85mm VR versus Nikon 24-120mm F4 VR

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaulR Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Nikon 24-85mm VR versus Nikon 24-120mm F4 VR

I recently bought a D600 with the 24-85mm kit lens and I just got done comparing it to all my old Nikon glass. I have read mixed things about the 24-85mm VR but my copy tested better at all focal lengths and apertures than the older Nikon zooms that I had from before I switched to Canon 5 years ago.  But one of the reasons I switched to Canon was the terrific 24-105mm f4 L USM lens and I was wondering if I would be as happy with the Nikon 24-120mm F4 VR.   I know that the 24-120mm f4 is supposed to have a lot of sample variation and it is obviously a bit pricey at $1300.

I am hoping to find somebody that has actually compared the 24-85 to the 24-120mm and find out what you have chosen.  I am particularly interested in corner sharpness between f5.6-f8 and whether the 24-120 has less distortion which seems to be the biggest weakness I saw in the 24-85.

I am not looking to be lectured about how they are different lenses or I should just buy the holy trinity of the 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200.  Sure, if i had the money and wanted to schlep the weight around I'm sure that would be a great solution but I have neither the wallet nor the back to make that a viable choice.   In the real world of wanting to minimize weight, and maximize image quality and flexibility would most people coughing up an extra 1300 to get the 24-120mm f4 VR be happy versus simply keeping the kit lens.

PaulR's gear list:PaulR's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha a7R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow