Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

marike6 wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Nice shots, but the 35-100 2.8, 60mm 2.8, 25mm 1.4 and 45mm 1.8 will no doubt do similar. In fact the 60mm macro and 25mm f1.4 can do exactly what you show here? be nice to see some comparisons?

Well the PL 25 1.4 is the equivalent to a 50 2.8 lens in FF, the exact aperture that I shot the third image at. You'd have a difficult time if I were to mount any faster FF lenses like the 50 1.4, 85 1.4, etc.

yet you didnt, presumably for a reason, that reason being the DoF you selected was enough or desirable.

I actually dont understand why there is so much connivance over taking some photos of some kids. Originally the Op asked 'Produce nice bokeh?' ... well can that be accomplished or not.

If DoF at its shallowest margin is the be all end all of photography eventually we are just going to be stupid shallow

The 35-100 2.8 is equivalent to a 70-200 5.6 in term of DOF so it's a bit of an overstatement to say you could do exactly what is shown in these images (not that they are anything great, just some quick grabs of my daughter).

the thing is, you wont ever get as shallow as FF, but it is possible to have decent separation, quite possibly as much as you could realistically need

marike6 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MT
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow