new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
OP joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,565
Re: samples

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I find this zoom range EXTREMELY useful. I do have a 300 as well and having had this latest lens, I'm inclined to sell it..

I am not doubting that a zoom is more versatile then a prime lens. Every event photographer has zooms instead of primes. I read in one thread that a former 50 f/1.2 user now almost purely uses the 24-70 f/2.8 II because it is good enough for what he does.

I am sure the 120-300 is good enough for sports and photo journalism.

I am just putting together the facts and I bring some further thoughts about the very tight product cycles of Sigma for these kinds of lenses.

Both the 70-200 and 120-300 have an IMHO too narrow products cycle and from the outside it looks like Sigma is selling the salami in small pieces rather then in one go.

The first 120-300 was a gap filler and optically so lala - the OS version seems to be really nice and the new version seems to be just a bit refined on the outside with some weather sealing and new look. Just one year after the introduction of the OS version - hm??

But the end of the day it is more a T/4.0 lens then a f/2.8 lens and it is quite heavy and bulky and not really cheap.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 weighs just half of it in use and with an 1.4x extender it is optically on par and cheaper and lighter and has probably a higher resell value.

Why the heck would a lens maker with such a long history in lens design forget about the focus range limiter in such a lens? By purpose or by accident?

Both answers make me think that this brand is not really trustable - this is of course my own make up of my mind.

If Sigma were a car maker I would put them in the area of Kia or Hunday rather then Audi or BMW or even Porsche.

The flaws are too big for such an expensive toy when you can have a nearly flawless 70-200 f/2.8 with a t-stop of T/3.4

I am just using the 300 f/2.8 II as an example of the target Sigma should have in mind. When they are there I will honor them for their efforts - it must be allowed to point out the flaws and almost one stop less light then advertised is probably not really a good story - even for 1/2 the price - especially when the product cycle is only one year.

just my 2CT

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow