$2K absolute max for a new Mac

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
KCCjr New Member • Posts: 11
Re: $2K absolute max for a new Mac

I have a Late 2009 27" iMac with 2.8Ghz Core i7 and 16GB of RAM with the stock HD. The graphics are ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. For years I ran with 8GB with not an issue, but recently added a virtual machine which sucks up some RAM. I use Aperture and Final Cut Pro and still quick happy with the processing speed. I'm not a media pro, but I enjoy my photography especially.

The current crop of 21.5" iMacs do not have upgradable RAM. The 27" does have user configurable RAM. Buy what you can afford (maybe skimp on RAM until you can buy more a little later on the side...). The processor speed is not worth the price IMO, spend your money on something else - like the bigger screen. I can't be happier with having this large a display. The i7 was worth $200 more for me because it went from dual-core i5 to quad-core i7. Now, they are both quad core. Considering you've had your current Mac for 7 years, I wouldn't think the modest speed increase worth the money over something more substantial - like screen size.

The flash drives are awesome. I replaced my wife's dean laptop drive with one. Amazing how fast it boots and starts apps and saves her battery life.

My priority rank of features would be: 1) 27" screen 2) RAM 3) FLASH drive

But the only user-configurable option is the RAM. For me, the stock video is fine. I'm not a gamer at all. I don't have enough time for my photography and video-editing. 

If you buy a refurbed one (an excellent option), check the following table: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3011  But, look at refurbs frequently and often, they don't last long. My mom bought a reburbed 13" MacBook Air for the price of a new 11" one. The reburb was indistiquishable from new.

Good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow