How much light does CNTL flash "spill" into scene?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Allan Olesen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,391
Re: How much light does CNTL flash "spill" into scene?

William Porter wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

It is strange that Sony doesn't sell an IR pass through filter for the controller flashes.

Maybe, but why would they? I mean, in the last hour or so, I have concluded that there's not much of a problem here to solve. If I can do a multi-flash shoot in the "normal" way (which for me simply means, at low ISO) without experiencing light spillage and without needing an IR pass-through filter, why would I want one?

Well, you could try a scene with shiny surfaces. I have a fresh example:

A few days ago I wanted to take a photo of the ski cabin where we were staying, with my daughter standing inside at the window. To get some effect, I placed a slave flash at her side and used my a77's onboard flash as a controller.

This created a very nice photo, but I got an ugly reflection from the window, caused by the controller light. So I had to step to the side so the flash was not mirrored in the window.

I could also imagine some situations where you want to use high ISO and large aperture to catch some ambient light while the slave flash should only contribute at tiny amount of light. In that case the controller might also contribute too much.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow