Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP YuriS Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

gardnergareth wrote:

Hi

Not sure if this helps - I have both the EM-5 and NEX-7, so there's a bit of difference compared to the NEX-6.

I have had the EM-5 from when it was launched. Its image quality is excellent, it performs brilliantly with AF lenses and the IBIS is truly excellent.

I am an architectural photographer, so had been using it with a shift adapter and some Nikon manual lenses.

You can achieve great results (if you're interested, take a look at my website), but my own experience has been -

- if you are working fast, it's a pain to keep manually inputting the IBIS focal length and I keep forgetting to change it. In the end I just shoot with IBIS switched off. IBIS is much better with supported AF lenses, as it all happens automatically.

- the control interface is frustrating, particularly zooming for manual focus.

- the 'live time' feature is remarkable and great fun to use. Although I don't use it often, and then have to search through the menus each time until I remember how to activate it!

Anyway, as a result of these frustrations, I decided late in 2012 to give the NEX-7 a go. And yes, it does have a rather esoteric menu system. But in my experience, once you have made the appropriate settings, you never have to visit the menu again.

I bought it mainly to use with my Canon EOS lenses via a Metabones adapter, as a lightweight backup to my 1DS III (I tried an EOS M and couldn't get on with it at all). I wasn't envisaging using with my Nikon legacy lenses and shift adapter. However, the NEX has become my 'go to' tool for this application.

It's a revelation with legacy lenses. The controls (such as manual focus magnfication) are to hand and intuitive (although the E-M5 has lots of buttons, it's hard to remember what they all do and the layout is pretty cramped). On the NEX, the focus peaking is a dream. The image quality is certainly a step above the already-excellent E-M5 – albeit it with a need to correct corner colour shifts with certain wide angle lenses, but I'm used to doing that anyway

However, I reach for my E-M5 when it comes to using AF lenses and IBIS. In particular, the 14mm, 20mm, 45mm and 75mm are all great to use.

Gareth

Thank you Gareth! It is really helpful information. Wen I need to make "fast" pictures I use Oly E-PL1 combined with Pana 20mm f1.7. And very exited with the result. But when i put on it Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 - it is really good, but I feel, it can do better. So it looks like I will take Nex-6.

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow