Just bought the Sony NEX-6

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Keep it Simple But Flexible

IMO, keep it simple to begin with but flexible. Even if you don’t care for RAW files right now, I would advise to use RAW+JPEG mode. Back up RAW for a later date you might want to re-visit and develop the images better than your camera’s JPEG engine can.

Among other major settings, I prefer:

-Set high ISO NR to weak or off (whichever is available)

-Long Exposure NR to off

-Turn “smile/face detection” off unless you feel a need for it

I also, mostly, shoot with local or spot focusing (as opposed to wide), generally keeping it in AF-S mode. I use AF-C only when shooting action, to track.

As far as additional lenses/accessories go, what is your budget? Do you want to enjoy the pleasures of manual focusing? If you want to get into macro, getting Sony LA-EA1 adapter will be a great idea. It will pay for itself (as would LA-EA2 as well but preferable if you want to spend more initially and want DSLR-like auto-focusing). Although, for macro, you have plenty of inexpensive options from just about any mount. And of course, MF is very inviting with your camera featuring Focus Peaking.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow