Getting lots of wierd looks and attention from taking pics in public

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019
Re: Getting lots of wierd looks and attention from taking pics in public

Cameranoobie wrote:

And not good attention either. People think im nosey or the papparazzi. Any way to avoid this?

Hansa Yindee had mentioned using a short lens, and I've also found that the type of camera I'm using can have a big impact on the attitude of those around me.  Any camera with a protruding lens seems to draw negative attention, but a tiny compact like the Contax i4R or a camera whose lens is about flush with the camera body (such as my old Sony Mavica FD-200 or the non-extending lens on the Pentax W20 waterproof camera) are pretty much ignored.

Where a person is at in public is also a factor.  If you're at an amusement park, zoo, or some other attraction where taking pictures is almost expected, it is less likely to be a problem.  If you're taking pictures of people where they live and work, or when they're just out for a walk enjoying their community, then you should expect that many will be a bit annoyed.  You have a legal right to take pictures in public places, but I don't know anybody who likes the idea of being photographed at random by strangers as they go about their daily routines.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow