A couple of night sky mosaics with D800E and Samyang 24mm F1.4

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,599
Have you tried ISO 1600 (or 400)?

Fabulous as always Greg. I can see myself getting into astrophotography except that I live in too bright an area at night.

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

ISO6400 or 5000 ( I read here someone felt 5000 was the sweet spot - I also read the standard ISO multiples usually get the best DR - I think I'll stick to ISO6400).

You may be interested in this chart by bclaff to help you choose. I am not an expert in astro, but by the looks of it there is very little advantage raising ISO above 1600 - next best would be ISO 8045, but you'd get less than a 0.1 stop advantage in read noise and to get that you'd be giving up 2 1/3 stops of highlight headroom. I would suggest trying a few captures at ISO 1600 with your settings (30 secs f/1.4/2.8?) and then adjusting EC to taste in CNX2 to decide*.

processed in Capture NX2 on one image to taste then save the settings and then reload them on each panel so they are processed exactly the same way.

I am sure you know this already, but one can achieve the same easily also by ctrl-click selecting and right-click copying all of the steps that one wants to port over from the open file to other NEFs, opening the browser, ctrl-click selecting each of the other NEFs and right-click pasting on them the changes. If you then want to save those in one go as TIFFs, for instance, select the group and File/Save As...

HIH

Jack
*While you are at it you may also want to try ISO 400: you'd get an additional 2 stops of highlight headroom over 1600, giving up only an additional 1/6 of a stop in read noise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow