D800 or 8000E

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: D800 or 8000E

camerashy wrote:

Thanks Tom, what the point about the tripod please and the 800E.....is it really necessary, as I always tend to use hand held

I can't say for certain, Dave, but my guess is that you'd not gain much, if anything, by going with the E version for hand held use. But, I've only had a d800 for a few days and haven't tried an E model, so I may be talking out of the seat of my pants....  Regardless, I'd be surprised if the E model made a significant difference for hand held shooting.  IMO, if you want the absolute best resolution, from most any camera, you need to use the best lenses, tripods and technique. It's rather like shooting macros at 1:1 magnification.  Your best macros are typically done the same way.

But, that isn't to say that you can't get really nice photos hand held, because you can.  I don't worry about shooting hand held for the majority of my shots because I'm not going to be printing huge nor cropping excessively.

Seriously, how much resolution do you really need? The answer to that question should tell you what you want to know.

good luck

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow