Is this fair game to photograph?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: It's about as fair as Pi$$ Christ (possibly disturbing photo)

GeorgeD200 wrote:

I can't see the OP's link because DPReview has taken it down.

As for the picture of the starving child and the vulture, this issue has been rehashed on a hundred forums, but here's try 101:

A photographer can save (maybe) one child. A photograph can raise global awareness and save millions. It's a hard choice, and maybe more than one person can bear, but it's the right choice to save the millions over the one.

Without seeing the photo the OP was referring to: in the USA we like to institutionalize our elderly and disabled so that we don't have to look at them. As a society we never visit them. We expect our insurance companies to take care of them. Medical bills are the number one cause of bankruptcy in the USA. Maybe we should take more pictures of how we treat people at the end of their lives. If we are worried about their dignity, maybe we should let them have some first, instead of shoving them into a corner to die alone, quietly.

On the last paragraph, I entirely agree with you about how we treet our aged ones. I looked after my mother for 8yrs till she was wandering the streets at 2-3am not knowing who she was or where she lived. We had to put her in a dementure home & it was heartbreaking watching her. I came home crying after every visit. If someone had asked me if they could take pictures to front a dementure awareness campaign, I may have said yes, but would want to see the actual shots before they were published. The important word in all this is ASKED. I need say no more.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow