new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
quatpat Contributing Member • Posts: 954
Re: new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

joger wrote:

quatpat wrote:

I don't think it's insane at all. Sigma has reacted to consumer response, and has eliminated a few flaws.

The new version also gets a focus limiter and adjustable focus speed, plus the possibility to do the focus-calibration via software, in addition to better weather sealing. It's a nice upgrade, but won't make the 2011 version worthless.

What's insane is that Canon still hasn't updated its 400/5.6 and 100-400mm, and that Nikon still doesn't have any real option for amateur nature photographers in the 400/5.6 range. Oh, yes they have the 80-400mm, which is also looooong overdue for a revision.

neither the 100-400 nor a 400 f/5.6 address the same market as a 300 f/2.8

That's true, but then Canon doesn't offer an equvalent lens, and for many amateur photographers the Sigma 120-300mm might be affordable, as are the 100-400mm or the 400/5.6, while the Canon/Nikon 300/2.8 costs a lot more.

I really like the way Canon introduces lenses lately - in fact I was using Nikon for some 20 years of my life until I recognized that the 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM is such a fine pice of glass that it's a nobrainer to buy it and the correspoing camera too.

So basically I bought a 70-200 from Canon and then a camera that suits the lens. Since 2005 Canon introduced some of the finest ever built lenses. Better then any other manufacturer - to name only a few:

• 70-200 f/4.0 L IS USM
  • 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II
  • TS-E 17 f/4.0 L
  • TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II
  • 24-70 f/2.8 L USM II
  • 300 / 400 f/2.8 L IS USM II
  • 500 / 600 f/4.0 L IS USM II
  • 14 f/2.8 L USM
  • 24 f/1.4 L USM II

For me it's all about the lenses and not about the camera. I've never regarded the 100-400 as an acceptable option being not cheap and not fast and not really lightweight and having a crazy design

just my 2CT

The Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS HSM is not lightweight, not weather sealed, not small, not cheap and now obsolete. I'd freak out if Canon would introduce a new 300 f/2.8 III with lets say a bit better wether sealing, a bit better AF and controllable by USB.

Well, it's veeeeery cheap when comapred to the Canon 300/2.8... about 1/3 of the price.

In fact the 300 f/2.8 is perfectly wether sealed, has the best AF of all my lenses (even on 5D II), has focus limiter and three different ways of Image Stabilization, a focus preset and is software upgradable and last but not least it is a replacement of a lens that was introduced some 12+ years ago.

Again, the Canon costs about three times more.

Obviously there are people out that see the glass is half full - where all I want is full glass instead of a half full. No matter how you turn it - it's just a big joke IMHO and ripping of of customers. I'd feel bad now if i 'd happen to own the now old lens.

Don't get me wrong - all modifications made make absolutely sense but why did they not think of the features before - we are not talking about a cheap standard zoom - this is supposed to be a professional tool for a very dedicated group of photographers.

Maybe I am getting old and too conservative. But maybe 4.7 k USD (-200 USD rebate) is not much of an investment for others.

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top
ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'
“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow