new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Thorbard Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 again? But now with weather sealing for sports?

Howard wrote:

Yep, that's one of my concerns with Sigma -- it is that they are sometimes ​too innovative​.

Don't get me wrong, being innovative is all good. But at the same time, pushing out upgrades too often (sometimes with minor or insignificant changes) make the resale value of "older" versions drop precipitously. For consumer grade lenses this is not an issue (as the lenses are cheaper to being with), but for allegedly high-end lenses, it is better to "get it right" and stabilize the lineup. Look at Canon's high-end super-teles, they not only hold their values very well, in recent years, we even saw the appreciation of their values.

Sigma lenses have a fairly insignificant resale value compared to the likes of Canon anyway, this is nothing to do with them releasing incremental improvements to their lenses.

People have learned by now that by the time you buy a computer its obsolete, so I guess its just time for people to learn the same as lenses - a lens doesn't get worse because a newer one exists.

I'd much rather have more lenses available than less.

Thorbard's gear list:Thorbard's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow