MacBook Pro 15" Retina - 8GB enough?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BelePhotography Regular Member • Posts: 373
MacBook Pro 15" Retina - 8GB enough?

I have an offer on MB Pro 15" Retina with 8GB (MC975SM). Since this is my first Mac and I have no reference what so ever I was wondering whether 8 GB is enough for PS6 and LR, or will I be left wanting more. Considering it's impossible to update I don't want to make a mistake here (which is kind of hard as I'm getting a 15% discount).

On my PC with Windows 7/8 I had 16 GB and it was always lightning fast, even when editing large D800 RAW pics. It had an SSD and a similar graphic card to the the MB Pro (Intel HD4000 + GeForce GT xxxM - not sure which one exactly anymore :-))

I'm not a fan of working with layers since I prefer Nik Software and their U-Point technology for my needs, so I believe that keeps my RAM consumptions somewhat down as well.

What's your thought? Enough? Or just barely so?

Storage is external for most part - so no problem with the 256GB SSD, or do you disagree?

Cheers,

Bele

p.s. I think Apple made a big mistake from a consumer perspective by integrating both hdd and ram into the body of the retina versions, instead of making it swappable - but I guess we all agree on that one.

BelePhotography's gear list:BelePhotography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow