The Sunday BIRD Volume 8, Issue 29: January 6, 2013

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 6,226
Thanks to all who commented, and regarding the Lapwing chick . . .

seems that the chick was a popular 'vote'.  That image was taken from the front yard of my parants home in early December.  My parents are in their 80's and have only a vague understanding of the internet and are continually amazed when I explain that I post pictures from their yard for viewing by people all round the world.   I  mentioned to mum this evening (by phone) that 'her' lapwing chick was very well liked on the forum, and I was very pleased to hear that the chick has survived and is now almost as large as its parents, and still in their company.

Whynot asked:  I was wondering if you had experience getting between the parent and chick trying to get a picture.

Yes, but it's a very noisy experience and you have to keep your nerve and hope that the swooping birds don't make contact. They have a very sharp spur on the leading edge of each wing. They are also known as  Spurwing Plovers.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow