Pentax Full-Frame

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,146
Re: By June??

Andrew53 wrote:

I think an announcment sooner than later. It has been usual that Nikon gets the first crack at a new sensor, then Sony then everyone else. With the release of the A99 I expect Pentax will be allowed to market a FF camera by June.

By June?  I doubt it.  This is a complex business decision that will set a part of Pentax's direction for years and have major financial consequences.  It shouldn't be underestimated.  In this thread we've seen Pentax executives charged by their consumers with everything from conservatism to superstition.  Perhaps people should be a bit more judicious in their thinking.  Before you can be successful you must survive and Pentax have trodden a difficult road for the past few years.

In the latest interview, we heard that Pentax's FF design is still with the marketing department to decide the feature set that will differentiate their FF offering.  That means they haven't concluded the design stage let alone proceeded further.  I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think we'll see anything more than an announcement this year.  Perhaps at CP+  (or whatever it will be called this year) in September.  And that's if they can make a business case to go ahead.

Everyone in this thread has been making comments underwritten by their desire for the improvement in IQ they perceive they'll get from an FF camera.   But what FF camera?  What type?  What resolution? What performance?  What features?  And at what price?  There have been many, many threads on this and all they go to prove is that even amongst those that desire FF, there are very different holy grails.......  Pentax will probably bring out one FF camera and it will need to be successful at their chosen price point.  It won't please everyone here just because it's FF.  And they'll need to sell cameras and lenses. They make nothing from legacy glass.

Quite apart from developing an FF camera and tooling up to make it, they've got to design and make some FF lenses, notably lenses wider than 31mm and some key zooms.  They've told us they're working on an APSC DSLR above the K5 series.  Some people are tipping an entry model too. They've also got an APSC lens roadmap.  (I suspect the road now goes somewhere else.....)  They've told us they're still working on the 645 and its lenses. They've told us that the K01 has finished production - we don't know if that means they're going to invest further in mirror-less.  They've also told us they're definitely producing a new Ricoh camera.  Sounds like they've got a bit on their plate to me.......

Interesting year?  Yes.  FF in five months?  Perhaps not - but like I said, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow