Decent film camera?

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Questions thread
Alexandrite Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Batteries.

I went through B/W film photography classes at art college with a Canon AE-1 Program. Wonderful reliable camera, easy to learn and most likely you can find one somewhere, I think they were popular in their day. I loved using it.

My first camera ever, which I still have (and use occasionally!) is a Russian Smena 8M. Very fun plastic camera, very basic. Photos always come out like a bit of a surprise though... They were made for many decades so there should be tons of them available on the internet.

I also have a Russian rangefinder, FED-1, which is awesome and copied from Leica cameras. A poor man's Leica, so to speak. A bit more to learn here, but it's gorgeous and very interesting to work with. Got mine on Ebay about 10 years ago. There should be many available from the FED series, possibly even under $100. I think the FED-1 was the most similar to Leica in style, the later FED series cameras went on their own tangent.
But if you look for one, don't get one of the silly painted ones with red stars and hammers and sickles glued on - just a plain regular one that looks like a normal camera! No one in Russia EVER walked around with a red painted camera bejewelled with red stars...

-- hide signature --
 Alexandrite's gear list:Alexandrite's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow