Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Daniel Clune
Daniel Clune Veteran Member • Posts: 3,451
Probably start another thread and ask that

bab99 wrote:

Ian wrote:

The Gray items that are sold in the USA and other parts of the world are only affected when they are under WARRANTY and this is based on NEW STOCK.

The laws and after sale laws are different in each country. But my understanding and this comes from a position close to Nikon Corp, second hand lenses should not be affected as they the owner is not asking for a Warranty Repair of Nikon Corp, if you buy a second hand/Grey lens in the UK the warranty is down to the dealer who sold the lens, Not Nikon Corp.

This also does not affect spare parts there is no actual control over what is warranty, if the lens is repaired BY A Nikon authorised / accredited warranty repairer, then as long as the item has an in date warranty card the work should be done free, no warranty card then the repair is chargeable, it very simple really.

Most Grey stock comes from the USA or a dodgy supplier, the USA IS THE CHEAPEST COUNTRY for photo goods and has been for many years. Having been in the trade for 45 years I have plenty of experience of this fact

Ian, a clarification may be needed here. What you are saying may not be true anymore. The premise of this forum thread concerns grey goods, lenses specifically, that are imported into and located in the USA and are not in warranty. The buyer has purchased it secondhand and is willing to pay to have it repaired. The question is, with recent changes made by Nikon USA, can the lens be repaired by anyone? At least, I think that is the bigger half of the OP question.

The answer that seems to be coming out of this thread is that with recent changes in policy, only repair shops authorized by Nikon are being sold parts. If you take your lens to an unauthorized shop you are SOL --no parts under any circumstances-- and I assume those shops are no longer servicing Nikons except for possibly for minor work such as sensor cleaning, etc. Additionally, the 23 authorized repair shops will be sold a specific part only if they furnish Nikon with the serial number of the lens that the part is going into. Nikon then checks that serial number against a computer database and refuses to ship the part if the lens is grey (regardless of warranty status). Hard for me to believe, but this is the discussion, is it not?

If true, there must now be some very unhappy Nikon owners in the US who have, as one poster put it, an expensive paperweight because it is an unrepairable lens. What I don't understand is that this thread is over a week old at this point and we have yet to hear from someone who has submitted a grey lens for non-warranty repair in the past few months, and can tell us what happened. Has anyone actually been refused service on the basis of it being a grey? Isn't there anyone with such an experience, good or bad, who can tell us about it? Are Nikon lenses really going into the landfill because repairs have been refused? And isn't there a camera repairman who works for an independent shop who can tell us if they are actually being denied Nikon parts because they are not one of the 23 authorized shops, and if they are currently finding replacement parts in the grey market?

Bruce

I haven't seen here in this thread anyone who RECENTLY sent a grey market lens in to Nikon USA and said what actually happened. Now that would be very interesting. Maybe start another thread and ask this question. There are alot of members on this forum and you would think someone one has recent experience with this.

But its clear that Nikon USA says it wont touch a grey lens even if you want to pay to have it fixed. Thats there public stance without any doubt.

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow