Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,937
Re: conclusion for me

I have researched the "grey market" issue in relationship to repair after the usual one year warranty issued on Nikon lenses by internet retail companies such as B & H.  I have contacted Nikon USA, a couple of Nikon authorized repair shops, KEH and B & H and I have come to the conclusion that I will only buy "Nikon USA" lenses.  I have been told by a couple Nikon Authorized repair shops that if they need a part that they have to supply "Nikon USA" with the serial number and if the lens is a grey market the shop can't get the part.  Also if it is a software  problem, then the repair shop can't access the software to fix the problem.

I wish I had known this before my last big purchase of a Nikon 500mm f4.0 vr lens last May.  The internet retailors are not up front with this problem, so be aware.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow