Pancake lens for E-PL1

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,382
Re: Pancake lens for E-PL1

pannayar wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I remember reading - that lens' advanced features (Face detection or something like that) will work when mounted on a Panasonic camera. So if I use with the Olympus PL1, will I be missing any other features...? Something wider than F/1.7 might be really nice, but I think the price may go up steep To make up for the cost, how much can the kit lens fetch me (I don't see myself using it).

Kit lens is probably worth $80-100

There are three pancakes for M43 cameras, and all of them will work on your PL1 with all features:

Panasonic 14mm 2.5 - $160 used on ebay

Olympus 17mm 2.8 - $140 used on ebay

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - $330 used on ebay

Keep in mind that the kit lens is 3.5 at 14mm, so switching to a 2.5 or 2.8 lens wont give you much faster shutter speeds. The biggest reason to go for the 14 or 17 would be the smaller size.

The 20mm 1.7 on the other hand is a full two stops faster than the kit lens, which means using iso 800 instead of iso 3200,  or a shutter speed of 1/250th instead of 1/60th. This is a significant difference.

You can go with the Panasonic 25mm 1.4, but that is only a half stop faster than the 20/1.7, and the cost is in the $500-600 range, it also isn't a pancake. So probably not a good choice for you.

I would say go for the 20/1.7, its an easy lens to recommend, the only real drawback is that its a little slow to focus, but not as slow as you might think from reading forums etc. It focuses a lot faster than many of my DSLRs lenses do, its just not as instant as some of the newer M43 lenses are.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow