V2 again in the Jungles of Honduras

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bobby Handal
OP Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,563
Re: V2 again in the Jungles of Honduras

Thanks for your comments.

yes , with the tc17eII and the TC20eIII the 200-400mmVR sucks, specially in IQ, but also (which is to be expected) AF issues but in my mind its acceptable to have AF issues as these issues are due to the aperture of the 200-400mm taking into consideration the loss of light of the TC's . but IQ is quite horrid, it seems much worse than with my full frame. I am still not fully convinced it could be operator error as I am not used to such magnifications.... but it looks pretty bad.

I am guessing that the TC14EII will be much better, as its the best TC that nikon makes. I will test soon.

FKS wrote:

Great photos, the V1 can be an amazing camera in the right hands

When you say using the TC and 200-400mm sucks, are you talking about IQ, tracking/framing problems, or AF issues? I've tried using the V1 with a TC-14E and Sigma 500mm (a combination I regularly use on a D3 with great results), and the IQ isn't all that good. Much better without the TC.

Bobby Handal wrote:

I honestly do not remember having issues with the TC20EIII or the TC17eII with this lens, I use these very rarely with this lens, I usually use it with a 70-200mm VRII or with a 500mm VR on cameras like the D800 and D7000.

I don't know if its the crop factor or the atmospheric conditions, or perhaps my lack of experience with such focal lenghts with this crop factor, if you think about it, 200-400mm x 2= 800mm x 2.7 crop factor = 2160mm.... wow. so in theory my slowest shutter speed should be 1/2000 Sec. . Not to mention the actual vibrations

I need to learn a little more but so far, using TC with the 200-400mm and the V2 sucks for me.

--

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +75 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow