Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
bab99 Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Jim, I have long assumed the following: The two factory service centers, Melville and Los Angeles (formerly at El Segundo) are owned and operated by Nikon USA, the exclusive marketers of Nikon in the United States. As such, they service what they sell. Their official policy is that they service what they sell and no more. You shouldn't blame them for putting this is writing, to protect themselves from situations involving the repair of equipment that they didn't sell but which could cost them money. However, it is my understanding that they can and usually do fix Nikon equipment that is grey market, they just don't want to admit it, talk about it, or make it their policy. So it does no good to ask them, or the gray market dealers, because you won't get a straight answer. If your question were about purchasing new grey market, I'd say forget about the warranty unless the dealer is willing to take the equipment back and/or has a way to get it repaired. Since your question is about used grey market, my guess is that you probably can get it fixed at Melville or LA if you don't tell them it is grey, but there's no assurance of that. They legitimately can say no. The situation with independent repair shops seems to be in flux right now, and I'm sure they are all scrambling to get access to parts. Long term, I personally can't see that Nikon can survive in the US without support from independent shops, but that is just my opinion.

As far as determining whether a Nikon is grey or not, I've not tried calling Nikon USA with a serial number. You would think they would know whether or not they sold it, so it might work. Good luck if you go through with the purchase!

Bruce

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow