A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Joe Federer Senior Member • Posts: 2,502
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

I investigated SSDs very carfully and was told their value was in having the OS on them.

You should have done better research, because this isn't true for the work we do.

In our situation you would have been better off with your data and catalog (with LR) on the SSD.  An SSD on your OS partition is going to make starting your programs and your boot times faster... but for what we do, that's relatively unimportant.

Since the computer came ready to run that would have meant replacing the C drive and reinstalling windows and any/all drivers.

Spending the extra hour or so to set up your computer right would pay you dividends for the next 3-4 years you keep that computer (based on your previous purchase pattern).  Seems obvious... though...  apparently penny-wise and pound-foolish is a good term here.

Second, I've spent countless hours over the past 2 years moving/deleting data as my main work drive was all too often at it's capacity. So moving from a 750 to a 1Tb (or larger perhaps...) was going to have to happen.

Why would you do that?   Again -- penny-wise, pound-foolish.

You spent "countless hours" due to a drive that was too small?   A new drive is only a few hundred dollars - - if you value your time as much as you say, why didn'y you buy one.   Follow your own advice...

Internal drives are always faster than external

Not 100% true.  The interface (eSATA, SATA, USB3, etc) are all faster than the drives can physically read/write the data.  Meaning the bottleneck is the drive, not the interface.

Which is to say, a drive in a USB3 enclosure is going to be just as fast as a drive internally connected via SATA....   and the external drive has a ton of benefits such as easily moving, backups, etc.   (that said, for small files, there is a little overhead with USB3's protocol that makes millions of super-small file transfers slightly slower -- though files the size we deal with (billions of times larger), that doesn't matter at all)

I have an external box that I use for backup, usb connection. It supposedly is capable of eSATA but my attempts to connect it as such have not been successful.

If it's not connecting, return it.   Drobo's, for example, are basically idiot proof.   Or do you have a generic one with which you were attempting to save money?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow