People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 52,337
Re: can't beat the size of that viewfinder!

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

I'm 42 and a progressive liberal and technologist. I have three technology patents. My grandfather is 96. I could easily live 50 more years. Viewfinders and screens will still be distinct then as they are now. OVF's are by far the best, EVF's are a distant second, and screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions.

You are the makings of a grouchy old man! Hahaha.

Time to join the 21st century. Look all around you. Electronic screens are being used to "find the view" everywhere you look, whether it be with the latest mobile devices, or dedicated video cameras, or point-n-shoot cameras, or DSLR videography, or MILC's, etc, etc, etc.

So what? Lots of people are also listening to mp3s on the useless ear buds that come with their phones. I promise you that my home audio system sound's far, far better.

Oh, great, now you're implying that you can't get good audio from mp3's and ear buds?

No, I'm saying it. You can't.

What you fail to understand is that there's a big difference between some ultimate, empirical standard of what is "best" versus what is good enough to bring a level of happiness, enjoyment, and satisfaction.

Right - people are gravitating to the weakest acceptable solution, rather than the best solution.

Frankly, I think people who think only of what is empirically "best" are a lot unhappier because they are constantly obsessed about chasing an impractical ideal.

Given thinking like that, we'd all still be living in caves.

Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean it's any good. In fact the opposite is usually the case - consumer masses usually gravitate to the lowest cost - and lowest quality - solution. Remember the number one restaurant in the word is McDonalds!

Oh, great, now you're implying that all devices that use an electronic screen is equivalent to McDonald's food?

Yes.

Sure, keep arguing that all electronic screens are the equivalent of eating at McDonalds. I think too many of us are out enjoying using our electronic screens for the enjoyment of taking photos to be bothered with such inane elitist attitudes.

They are the lowest quality of the framing options, with EVFs beating them by a good margin, and OVFs beating those by a good margin. Same as McDonalds being the lowest quality of the restaurant options.

The reality is that EVF/screen "viewfinder" cameras far outnumber optical viewfinder cameras these days, and the margin will only increase as time and technology moves forward. Cling to your conservative ideas and notions all you want, but the world is moving on. To say silly, foolish, and completely erroneous things like "screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions" is to completely ignore the fact that millions and millions of people are taking great photos in all kinds of conditions with all kinds of "screen" cameras, from compact cameras to smart phone cameras. If you don't see this, it means you're clearly out of touch with modern times, or just have your head buried in the sand.

Just got a galaxy S3 (see open talk for my test).

Oh, geez, I don't even want to imagine what kind of negative rants you write about it. Probably complain that it doesn't have a rotary dial! LOL.

It's a nice device, with a lousy camera. Same as nearly every phone.  See for yourself:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50555895

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +22 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
tko
BJL
BJL
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
MOD darkref
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow