Gray Market Lens Repair, Serial Numbers, etc.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim F
OP Jim F Senior Member • Posts: 2,597
... conflicting information ??? ...

bravozulu wrote: ... any legit lens destined for the US market has the letters "US" stamped at the front of the serial number.

... it's my understanding (from other, older posts I've read here) that not all "US marketed" Nikkor lens have a "US" prefix stamped in front of the serial number digits. Specifically, I thought I read someplace that lens like the 300/2.8 does not have the US prefix. Can any current 300 2.8 owners verify?

A relatively new Nikon policy is that they won't sell parts to outside service places. This slams the door on a whole lot of owners. But the repair shops know where to get parts from other sources, such as Canada. Just expect extra costs and delays.

I thought the policy is that Nikon will not sell individuals like you and me parts. But I don't think authorized service dealers are excluded from getting parts through legitimate means. I'm not 100% sure. So, if I'm wrong please respond.

The price of Nikon gear is so high, I wouldn't want to take a chance on Greymarket stuff in the hope of saving $100-200. What will you do if the VR on a $2000 lens breaks and Nikon won't touch it? Too scary for me.

Agree. That's the reason for this whole thread inquiry. Moreover, since not all lens have the US prefix, it's hard to tell if something is gray market or not. The "Nikon USA" sticker on a lens barrel can either fall off or be applied (to disguise its origin). So, I don't have a lot of faith in the "sticker" either. Not sure what to think anymore.

Jim F's gear list:Jim F's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow