People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 52,718
Re: can't beat the size of that viewfinder!

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

T3 wrote:

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

Well, a tablet's screen does make one heck of a large viewfinder!

I wouldn't call it a viewfinder. It's just a very, very ungainly LCD, especially if there's some sort of silly flip-case attached.

It's a viewfinder. It's very, very outdated, anachronistic thinking to NOT realize that LCD screens are viewfinders. It's archaic thinking to assume that just because something isn't an "optical" viewfinder, then it must not be a "viewfinder." Time to join the 21st century, pal.

You mean the 19th century of ground glass.

DPReview doesn't agree with you. (Emphasis added).

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/compacts/canon_ixus310hs/specification

Screen / viewfinder

• Articulated LCD Fixed
  • Screen size 3.2"
  • Screen dots 461,000
  • Touch screen Yes
  • Screen type PureColor II Touch TFT LCD
  • Live view Yes
  • Viewfinder type None

Keep in mind that in a few short years, this inane semantic hair-splitting regarding what can or should be called a "viewfinder" will basically disappear. Of course, there will be some aging ultra-conservatives such as yourself who will balk at an LCD screen being called a "viewfinder". The rest of the world will be over it. Ultimately, we have to consider what a "viewfinder" does and how the user uses it: to "find" the "view." That's it in a nutshell. A "viewfinder" is merely whatever device that is used to "find" the "view." Due to advancements in technology, viewfinders now take on many forms. The current generation of younger photographers already understands this. Eventually, the older generation will get it too...or die off from old age, lol.

I'm 42 and a progressive liberal and technologist.  I have three technology patents.   My grandfather is 96.  I could easily live 50 more years.  Viewfinders and screens will still be distinct then as they are now.  OVF's are by far the best, EVF's are a distant second, and screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
tko
BJL
BJL
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
MOD darkref
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow