People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

Not everyone has a smartphone with a good camera, I have several friends that don't have a smartphone and a few that have no mobile phone at all though they do have a tablet.  Using some kind of mobile device esp while on vacation allows you to easily share your images with friends on FB, Flickr etc. Many mobile devices produce quite good video.

When I was on vacation this summer I shot a lot of images on my phone even though I had two other cameras with me because it was easy to share them without having to first transfer them to my laptop.  The average photo taker out there just isn't that discerning about photo quality.  They don't really care if the image is blurry or out of focus, esp since they're probably only going to post it online at a low resolution.

Evern though mobile devices are producing images that are quite good, they're still a long way from a good compact or dslr as far as dynamic range and focusing speed.  I have several friends that have bought dslrs or advanced compacts this past year because they're tired of the crappy images they get from their phones.  Yes, tell me all you want how great the images from your iPhone are, they're still crappy in most situations compared to a good compact/dslr. People that were happy with 110 and Kodak disc are the kind that are happy with camera phone images...they are looking for convenience and ease of use.  I use my camera phone all the time for those same reasons.

Yes, i think it's silly to use a big tablet to take a still image or video but if that's what you have, that's what you use.  Many people are not that savy with tech stuff, if they're eventually going to need it on their tablet to share on some social media site, it makes more sense to just shoot it with that device.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
tko
BJL
BJL
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
MOD darkref
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow