Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
pentel Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Sovern wrote:

The thing is that when shooting wide like 35mm wide or wider you're not going to get much of that OOF look because a lot of that depends on having a longer lens (hence why a lot of portrait photographers use longer focal lengths, that a lone will give more background blur & bokeh).

In the case of portraiture having a faster lens will be more important vs IS because you might need the speed of the 35L wide open in certain situations.

That's not true, you can still get good bokeh out of the 35mm. That depends on how you use it. I have the Canon 35L as well and I can tell you I love using it for portraits. It's just not limited to lenses like 70-200. Sure the 1.4 does give more bokeh, but the difference has been subtle to me. For my need the IS wins over the 35/1.4. Now I know I can have the same POV and be more comfortable for shots at night. If I am taking a portrait shot at night, do you think the 35L would be able to take more steady shots than the 35 IS? How about taking a shot at f/2 1/2s at night outside? I can get a sharp pic with nice blurred nights with the IS, but most likely not with the 35 /1.4. It will let me take it at f/1.4 1/4s but probably not so sharp. The same argument on "because you might need the speed of the 35L wide open in certain situations" can apply to "because you might need the steadiness of the IS in certain situations".

It does depend on one's need. Again, if your priority is faster shutter speed and subjects are not stationery, then there's no pt to get the 35 IS. For many subjects, scenery/portraits/macro/night, the IS helps.

Again, I think it depends on one's need and it's the price point that bothers most people. It's priced cheaper than 35L so it makes sense. It's just that Sigma 35/1.4 is priced at about the same price. If the 35 IS is priced at $500, it's going to impact the sales of 35L for sure.

pentel's gear list:pentel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow