D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

Started Nov 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
Re: D800 vs MF Film, not a standard question

Check out DXO Filmpack:

http://dxo.com/us/photo/filmpack/what_is_dxo_filmpack

This thread is hilarious. What a waste of time and money film is with all the wonderful digital technologies we have today to capture a more detailed image with almost unlimited post-processing possibilities. No chemicals, no darkrooms, no enlargers, and best of all not being tied to one film's look. How easy it is to change the look of one's digital photos to anything you wish, not so with film.

This has me thinking back on a studio product photo shoot I went to back in 1997. Had to use the Polaroid back to shoot a few test shots to ensure the exposure was right... peel and waive in the air until the image automagically appeared. Nope, gotta change the power on that flash head... shoot again, waive in air and wait... can we snoot that light? Oh my f*in god! Then finally they started shooting on real film. A week or so after the shoot, we all sat around a light table in a dark room with loupes, picking out final candidates for the brochure cover. Then after all of this, the image gets drum scanned and thrown on a Mac to put into a brochure that gets printed on a CMYK press.

Today we can look at our live view display or check a shot immediately upon being taken. I haven't heard of a single successful commercial photographer who has any name recognition lament the switch to digital or even say that he or she still uses film in any way. Now it's something different entirely if you are keeping your images entirely in the analog domain without converting to digital anywhere in the process. That, I'm sure, brings a unique look that digital cannot reproduce. However, once you scan a supposedly superior film image, it is immediately downgraded to the dynamic range, resolution, and color depth of the digital realm. That's if what you're saying is true.

In my experience as the owner of a marketing firm in Seattle for a few years, telling a client you use film is not something to be proud of. In most circles, if you tell that to a commercial client you are almost guaranteed to lose their business. Most people would see such a statement as being out of touch with reality and producing an inferior image to what digital technology can produce.

To each his own. The film shooters probably also prefer listening to vinyl records. Whatever.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow