Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,384
Re: OK then, here are some examples, from a previous 35L owner

oldfartwitha5d wrote:

Spunky8 wrote:

The OP sought a specific response to a specific question.

A few responded. Others strayed into never-never land.

It would be so nice to read responsive answers to a direct question.

+1

I actually own the lens in question, 35mm f2 iS USM, and have owned it for a couple of weeks now. Before that, I owned the 35L, and it was a back-bone of my (people) photography. Loved it much. However, I rarely used it at f1.4 - 1.8 due to the extremely limited DOF. Close to 98% of my shots were at f2-f2.8. Also, I was not happy about the max magnification or MFD of the lens. As the new lens came along, I did not think twice about replacing the 35L. So far, very happy about my decision.

Here's a gallery I made to put some 35mm f2 IS shots in:

http://eyvindness.zenfolio.com/35mmf2isusm

Note that I did a comparison shooting my kitchen tiles with the new 24-70 f2.8 at 35mm, at MFD for both lenses, and for both of my cameras, 1Dmk4 and 5Dmk3. Note how much closer I can get with the 35mm f2 IS (the MFD of the zoom is at 70mm), and note how much more the zoom vignettes and distorts.

Cheers,

Eyvind

Thanks Eyvind. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Very nice shots, by the way. From these samples at least, it looks to me as if the 35 IS is as good at F2 as the new 24-70 is at F2.8 at 35mm. Would you agree? If so, that makes it pretty good indeed.

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow