Is the D600 kit lens considered a good lens?

Started Oct 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
David Garth
David Garth Regular Member • Posts: 367
Re: Is the D600 kit lens considered a good lens?

Here's a slightly different perspective: I'm a longtime (old) pro; most of my work is for press-printing in moderate sizes. But once in a while I need to make large photographic prints.

I got the 24-85 as part of the D600 package and assumed I would sell it on eBay. After all, it is a "kit" lens and regularly gets dissed on this forum. When I got it I ran my normal careful tests with test charts, and, when viewed at 100 percent, as expected, it was slightly softer in the corners than my 50mm 1.8G and my 85mm 1.8G.

But just for fun,  I took some comparison photos of a very detailed mid-distance scene with the primes at f8 and the zoom at f11 (big tripod, mirror lock up, ect.) and printed them at 24x30 inches. To my surprise, I couldn't tell the difference--even in the corners with lots of detail. Nor could my son with his younger eyes. I may have been lucky to get an exceptionally sharp one, but this lens is a keeper.

I think sometimes we all can be "lens snobs," assuming that only the expensive pro lens can do the job. If a lens/camera combination takes real pictures that meet your needs, does it really matter?

-- hide signature --

David Garth

David Garth's gear list:David Garth's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow