People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doug J Veteran Member • Posts: 9,320
Re: People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

The times continue to change. Many/most of the typical consumer-type of folk want to snap some photos, maybe catch some video, possibly directly upload & share. Until smartphones & tablets came along, their options to effect this were limited - use a camera and/or a video camera.

Fast forward - the needs/wants are the same, but now there are options beyond dedicated hardware for the photo/video stuff. These kind folks don't want to get into focal lengths, apertures, DOF, etc. They want to capture the moment and move on.

I live in Asia and went to my first wedding in S. Korea a few months ago. At the decisive moment, I was surprised to see many hands raised in the air. I thought this was an aspect of Korean culture I didn't know, maybe a "salute to the couple". Wrong. All of these hands held  smartphones, with real-time uploads. The only "real" camera present was the one the pro had - single pro, the ceremony lasted for 30 minutes.

Wandering around Asia with my traditional DSLR, I see iPads held in front, or raised over the heads by some folks. What I previously thought the holders of these fondleslabs were doing was dowsing/divining Dowsing for something, perhaps seeking the path to Feng shui , or maybe mapping via GPS. They're shooting stills & some video, and quite pleased with with the results.

It continues to be a brave, different new world.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
tko
BJL
BJL
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
MOD darkref
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow