People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 19,907
Silly to claim this one aspect of photography looks silly.

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

Didn't people carrying around view cameras look equally silly in decades past?

It gives you a huge area for framing your view.  Of course the camera quality is not great (currently), but it can be the equal for a phone camera so who cares if you look a bit silly if you get a better shot than you would have with a phone because you can observe your framing better?

Note that for video, the tablet results can be as good as a phone and again you have that large area for previewing what you are shooting.

I would argue that in pursuit of photographs, photographers are constantly doing things that look "silly" already.  Crouching, leaning at odd angles, laying in the dirt, leaning up against support posts, making squinting faces that would have you put away were a camera not in your hand. It doesn't seem so much a transgression to me to have yet more more silly looking thing some photographers do, rather we should welcome them into the club of people willing to sacrifice personal dignity for a better photograph.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
tko
BJL
BJL
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
(unknown member)
T3
MOD darkref
T3
(unknown member)
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow