Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,575
Re: Any experience with the new 35 IS?

that is disappointing, but going against 135L would be a tough act to follow

ali20 wrote:

I bought the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. But I returned it after taking a few test shots. This lens is very soft at F2. I found this disappointing. I was spoiled after buying the 135L. The 135L is very sharp at F2, and gets even sharper stopped down. Since Canon's MTF charts show similar numbers at F2 for both of these lenses, I was hoping to get the same sharpness for the EF 35mm IS lens at F2. I had to stop down this lens to F4 or F5.6 to get decent sharpness.

Personally, when I buy a lens, I like to shoot wide open. I have no reason to buy a pricy lens only to stop it down to get decent sharpness. Besides, I like shallow depth of field photography. I decided to hold on to my money and wait for better Canon lenses in the future.

Coincidentally, the build quality of the new 35mm lens is very good. Focusing is very nice and fast. The manual focus ring is very well damped and feels just right. It is much better than the 50mm F1.4.

Thanks,

Ali.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow