Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342
Re: in other words and in a nutshell.....

MAC wrote:

ed rader wrote:

no experience with lens. nothing to contribute.

nonsense - I challenge those who apparently have the shakes for the 35 mm length. When people move, the IS doesn't help. When people stop down, no reason for F2. My 4 stop 15-85 IS replaces the need for 24 f2.8 IS, 28 f2.8 IS and 35 F2 IS -- when users stop these lenses down. As others have said, these new primes were designed more for video.

I don't understand your reasoning. How could the 4-stop 15-85 IS replace the need for a 4 stop 35 IS? The 35 is F2. If you only shoot it at F4.5 or slower, it won't have an advantage over the 15-85, but I, and most others who buy it, will shoot it wide open or only slightly stopped down. The 15-85 is at least two stops slower at 35. They both have 4-stop IS, so you can shoot the 35 in much lower light, or use at least 4 times the shutter speed in the same light, which could be important for shooting subjects that move. The 15-85 is a fine lens, but no rational person could say that it replaces the need for the 35 IS. Plus, some people might want to use it on full frame.

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow