A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
ryanshoots Regular Member • Posts: 401
my take

It's always interesting to read what others will and won't put up with.  Many here seem this is par for the course and just a cost of doing business, others wouldn't dream of that much hands on IT involvement.

My own opinion is that I'd rather use a Mac and externally attached storage, so I don't have to move all the photos in the first place to upgrade the computer.  Seems silly to have to build a new house, to install a new furnace.  Buy a larger than you need, but expandable storage solution.  Yes, someday you might have to wait for all the files to sync over when you replace that, but if done right you can do it with the old and new in place and not have any downtime, except to copy the most recent files you might be working with.

I think the take home advice is start planning your next upgrade now and move to an architecture that will facilitate an upgrade in a quicker manner than what the OP had to go through and as someone else suggested, have a backup plan so if things take longer than normal, you're not out of the photography business for a few days.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow