A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 6,594
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

What I said was that when you buy a quality product you get support.  If the product is defective, then bring it back and they should replace it with a new one (not simply accept it for repair).

As I said before, this is not something unique to Apple.  It is a benefit that you tend to lose when you buy a "low cost" computer.

Software shouldn't be that hard to move over.  I am not a regular windows owner, but I find it hard to believe that moving to a new machine is supposed to be such a hassle.

Since this thread has started, I have replaced a failed 1TB iMac HD, with a brand new 2TB HD.  In the process I upgraded to the latest version of the OS, and restored all applications and data files form backup.  All in all, I spent about 10 minutes worth of clicks, and a few hours letting everything happen on it's own.

I also upgraded the 750GB HD in my Mac laptop with a 1TB SSD.  Again, just a few minutes of clicking to copy everything over.  No issues with the new drive being a different size then the old.  All my software is working.

Both of the above were handled using software bundled with the OS (Disk Utility to copy the disk, and Time Machine for backups).

If you are spending more time than this, then it is a hidden cost of your choice of hardware vendor and/or operating system.  Not a hidden cost of using a computer.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow