Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Any experience with the new 35 IS?

Seems like a very over priced lens. Why not save up a little more money and get the 35L prime? It seems to me that Canon is now re releasing primes with IS for a very high price but are catering them to the DSLR video crowd.

It seems to me that the IS is only useful for video which is what they're catering their new crop factor DSLR's and lenses too. Not a bad thing but I'd rather just have the L prime instead of the IS version.

After all on FF a good photographer should be able to hand hold the 35mm at a shutter speed of 30. You'd get camera blur with pretty much anything that moves and at shutter speeds lower than say 15 IS is useless.

The 28 1.8 USM still seems like a better lens. Low distortion, 1/3rd of a stop faster, less than half the price, and slightly wider. 35mm is a weird focal length because I feel as though the 50mm fills it's role better and the 28mm serves its own role without producing distorted photos if you know how to shoot with it right (IE don't try to take close up portraits with it).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow