17-55 vs 18-55 Test

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Don't ditch a lens model because you don't like your own copy.

Paul De Bra wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The 17-55 focal length can be made up with a few steps forwards or backwards. I gave the 17-50 a whole month and compared to the 50 1.8 II that I sold it was not nearly as sharp, the colors were more bland, and it wasn't as fast.

The 17-55 focal length cannot be made up by zooming with your feet as it changes the perspective and it will often kill you because you will fall off a cliff.

Don't compare the non-Canon 17-50 with the Canon 17-55IS. I compared the 17-55 against the 50 1.8 II. At f/2.8 the 17-55IS was wide open and the 50 1.8 already stopped down and yet it was very hard to notice a difference, even when viewing at 100%. The 17-55IS is an outstanding lens. The third-party knock-offs cannot compete with it and giving your opinion about a 17-50 does not say anything about the image quality of the Canon 17-55.

I'd rather have say a 35F2 and an 85 1.8 and possible a 50 1.8 and just use the 35mm or 50 1.8 as my main lens when shooting general photography on crop and switch to the 85mm when you need that extra zoom and/or isolation.

Switching lenses can be done very fast if you have a good technique.

People with a 17-55 must hav a very different shooting style. I used the 17-34mm range the most by far and your setup would not have that.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

You must shoot different stuff than me. I never found myself using anything below 28mm on the 17-50 and I was almost always at 50mm and craving a longer focal length. For me the perspective difference from 27 (crop quiv. of 17) and 80mm is no a huge deal especially once you get to 35mm. A few steps back or forward would not kill me shooting portraiture.

I'd rather have 1-2 primes for half the cost that are much faster and have better bokeh/background separation ability's, better optics, better build quality, and better low light.

I'm guessing you shoot landscapes.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow