Nikon SB900, SB910 with AF Assist and 24-70 AF Trouble!

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Grig Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Nikon SB900, SB910 with AF Assist and 24-70 AF Trouble!

Today I was shooting with my brand new 24-70 (I had another one for 5 years, but sold and got the new one for another 5 years) inside with SB910 wide open. AF was driving me crazy!

Just figured out that when you have AF assist ON on the flash (those red rays in AF-S mode) - lens if backfocusing at least for -10 correction!!! When I turned this lite off - it's dead on!

Try it for yourself... Get close object, use single point AF-S and see how it behaves for yourself... It does the same thing on all my bodies - D3s, D800 and D600.

I guess something needs to be done with this because this AF assist comes handy in the dark situations, but with its huge -10 backfocusing it is useless...

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D3S Nikon D800E +13 more
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow