30 new lenses added in one go to the m4/3 system...

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: 30 new lenses added in one go to the m4/3 system...

amalric wrote:

fermy wrote:

Potential addition of HQ 4/3 lenses should be interesting to those clamoring for quality fast zooms or long teles and of course those that hold on to 4/3 lenses. However, this is waporware so far, when the camera is there there will be something to discuss.

Well, it depends. Because the lenses are already there, and I have seen a few even here using them and complaining about slow AF.

I understand the frustration of the FT users; their good lenses need a body with a better sensor. But it doesn't have much to do with mft. Those who are using FT lenses do so because they don't have a better sensor to put the lenses they already have on. But for the others it doesn't ake much sense to get FT lenses even if they are good lenses.

Add those who complain that m4/3 have little or no fast zooms. Add those who want GHG quality.

This has changed with the arrival of the Panasonic 12-35mm and 35-100mm F2.8. For those who would prefer Olympus zooms, I bet that most are waiting to see with what Olympus will come out.

Potentiallly a Pro OMD, together with the GH3, is possibly worth a Pro forum apart.

I don't want to split the forum like that, I don't want to read two redundant forums because I own both an OM-D and a Pen With lot of mft lenses. For someone fully centered on MFT it doesn't make sense to split the OM-D/GH3 users away and to regroup them with the FT users. Personnally, I won't feel at home.

If the porting of the 4/3 lenses is successful there are quite a few needs that are covered.

Yes, but for the FT users. Let them keep their own forum where they can discuss their lenses and adapters problems.

From a purely m4/3 perspective I think that a mix of primes for the central range, and zooms at the extremes makes good sense.

It doesn't make much sense to  get non native lenses if you are only an mft user, especially if you have kept another DSLR system along with your mft camera (and we are a lot, probably more than there are FT users).

But if I was a marriage hack, then perhaps I would consider the 12-60 in preference to the 12-50, or even the 12-35.

I bet that any wedding photographer has already a Nikon or a Canon DSLR system and that if he shoots some wedding stuff with mft, it is to complement his offering, not to fully replace it; it is to offer reportage like pictures thanks to a more portable outfit.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow