The 2nd part of excellent RX1 review.

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
tesilab
tesilab Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Re: One thing regarding Tim's review..

harry cannoli wrote:

I wouldn't expect the camera to cook the RAW data. What I would expect is that any information regarding modifying the image (CA, vignetting) would be written to the metadata that's attached to the file. I would expect any corrections required to correct CA, blooming or vignetting to be done by the RAW conversion software, providing the RAW conversion software knows how to parse that data out of the metadata attached to the file, and knows what to do with that data.

I wouldn't expect the camera to apply these corrections to the RAW file itself, doing so defeats the entire purpose of working with a RAW file.

Unless I read Tim wrong, my impression was that Tim suggested that the camera itself applies corrections to the RAW file. If this is indeed the case, I would be interested in knowing what methodology (or outright information) was used to come to this conclusion.

Do RAW files look different when lens correction (in the camera) is turned on and off (with lens correction turned off in RAW conversion software)?

I'll read the review again, I must have missed something.

Nice job, Tim.

Rgds

Rich
ice nine photography
Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

The NEX cameras also do this, it's mentioned in one of the dpreview NEX reviews. At least for vignetting.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony Alpha a7 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow