How to measure tripod shake? (windy beach with long exposures)

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
SPW1981 OP New Member • Posts: 3
Re: How to measure tripod shake? (windy beach with long exposures)

Thank you very much for your answers.
Finally I'm going for the Gitzo Systematic Series 3 (GT3542LS) and the Acratech GP ballhead with a quick release clamp (lever-style - I don't understand why people call those with a knob "quick release" too).
I don't want to take the risk of having unsharp shots and as conditions I want to be able to shoot in are quite extreme (windy beaches and long exposure times) I definitely want to be on the safer side.
A tripod that's not totally stable is useless. As I don't have the possibility to do any objective measure (which is dependent on external factors like the weather like happysnapper said), I would constantly doubt if the Ocean Traveler is sufficiently sturdy. Maybe it is and I'm going to carry around much heavier gear than I would need… But I've done my choice now.
So why don't I take  the Systematic Ocean? It's really ridiculously expensive. I found a deal for the regular Systematic (GT3542LS) for 600 EUR; the cheapest for the Systematic Ocean (GT3542LOS) I found was 1500 EUR. This is totally insane… With the regular Systematic I will have to clean my tripod very well after each use in salt water and sand and I should be fine anyway.
PS: On days that I really want to travel lightweight, I can still take my Gorillapod Focus with Ballhead X (762gr).

Best regards,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow