30 new lenses added in one go to the m4/3 system...

Started Dec 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
duckling Senior Member • Posts: 1,765
Re: 30 new lenses added in one go to the m4/3 system...

amalric wrote:

Backwards compatibility is key, indeed. But there are other aspects. Those are fast zooms with no SW correction, so potentially the best.

Yes. My own experience supports that suggestion. The 11-22 and 12-60 have better corners than m4/3 wides.

How do they compare with the resolution of the new m4/3 primes? And with m4/3 zooms' prices?

They compare favorably, I think. HG and SHG zooms resolve better than m4/3 zooms. HG zooms are not that expensive either: a m4/3 equivalent of the 14-54 would cost twice as much (and it does).

They'll need a bigger camera for sure to handle them. How will the combo compared with the rumoured FF NEX by the end of 2013, if they have the same size?

An FF NEX would be good for mounting old manual lenses. Native lenses will be enormous and edge-challanged. NEX is bad engineering around a good sensor. Enlarging the sensor even further will make it even worse. OTOH 4/3 zooms like 12-60 mounted on an OM-1-like body won't feel too awkward and will fulfill the IQ potential of the cameras.

It will be quite a test of the system's potential...

I agree. I'm not too optimistic as to the popularity of this camera (or of the chances 4/3 lenses make a comeback).

duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow