A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
OP PenguinPhotoCo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
the 'hidden cost' you glossed over

I always recommend David Pogue's excellent "Missing Manual" edition for the specific operating system. The people who took the time to read the book and become proficient with the OS had the best overall experience with their Mac.

How long does it take to read that book? Plus they had your help?

Do Macs sometimes have hardware problems? Of course, but it is usually easy to address or have Apple repair/replace the hardware under warranty.

Mine is being replaced under warranty.  I can find a box, pack it up, drive an hour round trip to ship it, wait a week without a computer for the new one to arrive, spend 5 to 10 hours installing everything all over again (possibly..depends what they do). But i have just shipped MY DATA and PERSONAL INFO to god know where and who.)
Or I can spend 15 minutes and swap a MOBO and keep using the machine in the meantime.
No brainer.

I've never had an issue with the last computer, my last laptop. The computer I'm typing this on go a virus a few years back and would not boot. Ugly, huh? Via phone I got it repaired and back online in 20 minutes. No boxing it up, no trips to a store.
I"ve had 2 computers 'die' - the kids gateway recently (2 years old) and a mobo failed many years ago but it was part of a large amount of failures due to counterfeit capacitors being sold out of taiwan. I've never had a HD fail in use. I've had 'good' ones sit on a shelf not come back to life after storage but that's not a PC thing.

I've worked with Windows and Macs and the reality is that Windows PCs and the OS are more difficult to set-up and configure. Hardware and driver incompatibility is a common source of frustration. Windows has security and other settings that are buried in out of the way and not-so-itnutitve locations. And let's not forget that PCs are vulnerable to outside threats as soon as you connect to the Internet; keep your antivirus and other security precautions up to date or reap the consequences.
I agree - one of the frustrations for me is i'm very familiar with things in XP. But since then Vista, 7 and 8 have come out and things are not what they used to be, where they used to be. I'm learning and 8 isn't bad at all and I"m beginning to like it. A lot.  Macs are vulnerable too. And they don't run flash. It'd like trying to get around the US and not understanding 1/3 of the people you run into . Flash is all over the internet.
There may be apps for everything for the mac, but the selection is way greater for the PC.

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow