A breather and Perspective ( A bit OT )

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,648
Re: A breather and Perspective ( A bit OT )

Obsolescence is a relative thing. People say they are "amazed" by the results I get shooting concerts with my very obsolete E520. Some have remarked how they would love to see the results I can get with an EM5 or E5. I'd  love to see those results myself, but my current financial situation has me having to make due with what I have.

The EM5 and other m4/3 cameras are no more obsolete today than they were a week ago. None of the Olympus cameras is obsolete, really, except as specific to a given individual's demands. I could say that my E520 kit shouldn't even be used for the concert photos I take, but I am using it and my client is quite pleased with the results.

This announcement actually makes my upgrade decision a little easier. It's less expensive for me to pick up a used E5 and 50-200 lens, than to build a kit based on the EM5 that I want. Less than $2K USD would give me a kit of the E5 and 14-54 and 50-200 lenses. Quite capable of handling all my concert/performance photography much better than my current kit does.

In addition to solid AF performance with 4/3 lenses I trust, the E5 also has certain features I wish were on the EM5 (fully articulating LCD, top LCD display, uses my existing BLM5 batteries and some others). So, thanks to the prospect that a year from now I can purchase a camera that will offer sensor performance at least on par with the EM5, as well as other advantages of that camera, while making the 14-54 and 50-200 completely compatible, I may forego the EM5 altogether for the new body. Or I could see myself adding the EM5 kit incrementally after getting the E5 and 50-200.

As for the source of the information itself: I wonder if someone in Olympus HQ in Japan has sent off an email or placed a call asking "Miquel, just what were you thinking during that interview?" LOL

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow