If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sensors compare on LL
Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
berleconi • Contributing Member • Posts: 669
Sensors compare on LL
Dec 22, 2012
- Some newer 1.5× APS-C products score between 78 and 82 points (just like Canon’s best full-frame models). High-scoring APS-C models currently use sensors supplied by Sony:
- Sony Alpha-580/NEX-7/Apha-77
- Pentax K5/K-01
- Nikon D3200/D5100/D7000
- For APS-C sized sensors, there is no significant performance difference between SLRs, Sony’s technology with a semi-transparent fixed mirror or premium mirrorless models such as the Sony NEX-7.
- Except for the 1/1.7" segment, none of the Canon models are currently best-in-class. This includes the recent Canon Powershot G1X and G15, and the EOS 650D, 5D Mark III and 1Dx. Canon is lagging behind particularly in its Dynamic Range at low ISO. Canon’s competitive 1/1.7” models incidentally use Sony sensors.
- Some sensor sizes are performing well given their size while others are lagging behind:
- Recent 1/2.33” and 1/1.7” sensors are scoring well compared to their size.
- The Sony RX100 (CX or 1/1” format) is scoring well compared to its size.
- The (Micro) Four Thirds format has been dormant until recently. The two new well performing models are the Olympus PEN EPL5 (72 points) and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (71 points).
- The 1.6× format is struggling as well, but is a Canon-only format. So it reflects the fact that Canon is currently not state-of-the-art in terms of sensor noise.
- The 1.5x APS-C format is doing well in some models due to the use of Sony sensors and likely due to the extreme competition.
- The full-frame format is doing very well. The five highest scoring full-frame cameras are incidentally all by Nikon.
- Medium-format is underperforming in most (but not all) respects.
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow
Have your say
Have your say: Best high-end compact of 2016
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Leica X-U (Typ 113)
Panasonic Lumix FZ2500
Panasonic Lumix LX10
Panasonic Lumix ZS100
Sony Cyber-shot RX10 III
Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V
|Valley by the light of a blue moon by cjf2|
from Down in the Valley
|Lake Erie Stone Pier by yobbyt|
from Dock or Pier
|Hong Kong by Zephyr1977|
Most popular cameras
Top threads in this forum