If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sensors compare on LL
Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
berleconi • Contributing Member • Posts: 667
Sensors compare on LL
Dec 22, 2012
- Some newer 1.5× APS-C products score between 78 and 82 points (just like Canon’s best full-frame models). High-scoring APS-C models currently use sensors supplied by Sony:
- Sony Alpha-580/NEX-7/Apha-77
- Pentax K5/K-01
- Nikon D3200/D5100/D7000
- For APS-C sized sensors, there is no significant performance difference between SLRs, Sony’s technology with a semi-transparent fixed mirror or premium mirrorless models such as the Sony NEX-7.
- Except for the 1/1.7" segment, none of the Canon models are currently best-in-class. This includes the recent Canon Powershot G1X and G15, and the EOS 650D, 5D Mark III and 1Dx. Canon is lagging behind particularly in its Dynamic Range at low ISO. Canon’s competitive 1/1.7” models incidentally use Sony sensors.
- Some sensor sizes are performing well given their size while others are lagging behind:
- Recent 1/2.33” and 1/1.7” sensors are scoring well compared to their size.
- The Sony RX100 (CX or 1/1” format) is scoring well compared to its size.
- The (Micro) Four Thirds format has been dormant until recently. The two new well performing models are the Olympus PEN EPL5 (72 points) and the Olympus OM-D E-M5 (71 points).
- The 1.6× format is struggling as well, but is a Canon-only format. So it reflects the fact that Canon is currently not state-of-the-art in terms of sensor noise.
- The 1.5x APS-C format is doing well in some models due to the use of Sony sensors and likely due to the extreme competition.
- The full-frame format is doing very well. The five highest scoring full-frame cameras are incidentally all by Nikon.
- Medium-format is underperforming in most (but not all) respects.
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow
Have your say
What's been the most exciting announcement of Photokina?
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
Total voters: 5,343
Most popular cameras
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels711The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review372Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2164Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review339Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2501Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review
Top threads in this forum
Most bookmarked in this forum