A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
ChrisBurch Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

I'm about to undertake a slightly different adventure.  I've become very frustrated with Windows over the past 20 years from a reliability and performance stand point.  Given my investments in desktops, laptops and software, I've so far stuck with the PC side, but I've had and will now be moving over to Mac.  My first replacement will be on the laptop, which won't be as traumatic as I only use it for on-site work and general productivity apps.  That alleviates the headache of massive data migration, but now I have to figure out how to move all of my apps over to Mac versions, hopefully without having to repurchase. Eventually, I'll replace the PC with a MacPro, but that's going to set me back about $4K by the time I add in everything I want.

I'm a little concerned about upgrade capability once I go all Mac.  On the Windows side I have been adding new cards and drives to machines that are less than 2 years old.  New technology comes out rather rapidly (USB 3, eSATA, etc) and as my data requirements constantly grow, it's nice to be able to take advantage of these.  The MacPro is probably a lot more configurable than the other platforms, though, and that's were I would be most likely to make upgrades, so maybe it's not something to worry about at all.

ChrisBurch's gear list:ChrisBurch's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow