A 'hidden cost' of being a pro Locked

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
nelsonal Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Re: A 'hidden cost' of being a pro

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

I investigated SSDs very carfully and was told their value was in having the OS on them. Since the computer came ready to run that would have meant replacing the C drive and reinstalling windows and any/all drivers. At least this computer came with a windows CD (my last 5 have not had ANY cd of any kind included).
Second, I've spent countless hours over the past 2 years moving/deleting data as my main work drive was all too often at it's capacity. So moving from a 750 to a 1Tb (or larger perhaps...) was going to have to happen.
Internal drives are always faster than external - eSata may be an exception but then it's only 'as fast'. This box/mobo can hold 4 data drives in addition to the C drive and DVD, most in SATA 3 and 2 configs.
I have an external box that I use for backup, usb connection. It supposedly is capable of eSATA but my attempts to connect it as such have not been successful.

-- hide signature --

Before everything else, getting ready is the secret of success. -Henry Ford

It doesn't need to be an SSD, that's just another reason to operate that way. The advantage is when you upgrade the data drives you can leave the existing data on the old one and plug in an additional new one and take all the data to the new system without transferring anything. Also you don't need to get your data from a back up when the time comes to format the windows/application drive (as the data drive won't be touched in that process). Yes internal is faster, but only rarely does speed of the data drives matter and when it does you can usually park it temporarily on the fast drive (then when that job is done put it back in the archive).

Friends who accumulated several TB of music back in the days when 40-80 GB drives were the norm introduced me to the system, it worked well for them.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
eNo
eNo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow